Mom's spot......

This is the diary of a 20-something mommy from Chicago. Sometimes this will be funny, sometimes sad, but it will always be real........feel free to post comments. Katrina

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Driving

Did you ever notice how theraputic a drive can be? I mean one with the windows rolled down and the music turned way up. It reminds me of simpler times. Times where I would go out on a whim just for a drive because I could. These days drives like this take timing, planning. I was talking to a good friend today about how life was so much simpler before having kids. Running to the grocery store took minutes not hours, running out for a bite to eat did not involve remembering to pack an extra change of clothes or something entertaining. These days everything involves stratigic planning. If I want to run to the store I have to remember to have my daughter empty her bladder before getting in the car. I have to make sure that she's eaten a meal so as not to beg for McDonald's on the way home. And, if I want to make one of these "quick" trips alone I have to make sure the hubby is home ( and awake) before I can manuver out the door. Even this involves quick thinking and excuses. My daughter wants to be with me all the time, so on the rare occasion that I do get to go by myself I have to figure out where the nearest escape routes are. But, I also thought about how these little "inconviences" are also a bit fun. I enjoy strolling through Target with Cheyenne in toe. She is so curious about everything around her. Even something as simple as "sale" signs are of interest to her. I get a kick out of her eagerness to help me. " Mom, can I pick out the syrup?" I enjoy answering her "silly" questions: "mom, why is that man riding his bike?" or "Mom, what does that sign say?" I even get a tinge of excitement when she does tug at my leg staring up at me with puppy dog eyes "Mom why are you leaving?" It makes me feel needed, special even. I love even more the " MOMMY" when I stroll into the house after one of my outings. Cheyenne acts as if I've been gone years, not hours. So, when I crave the life of old, I think I'll jsut go for a drive.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger Dana, proud mommy of 3 said…

    Spoken like a true mother!!! I was shaking my head thinking yup...yup...amen!!! lol! I totally agree!!! I love to just "run" (ha ha) alone to the store with music loud and me singing on the top of my lungs!!! You're a great mother! We're so much alike!!!! Thank heavens for "DRIVES" hee hee!

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Sarah said…

    I just mentioned to Mike last night that I'd just like to go for a drive, jamming to my tunes. Alone time, time to reflect, time to truly just UNWIND with no other commotion (aside from that loud music!). Too bad gas prices are so ridiculous or I'd try to enjoy one of these drives.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home