Mom's spot......

This is the diary of a 20-something mommy from Chicago. Sometimes this will be funny, sometimes sad, but it will always be real........feel free to post comments. Katrina

Friday, February 10, 2006

Why stay?

Why do people stay in relationships that are obviously not going anywhere? I ask this because this week I've had 2 people close to me complain about relationships that are just plain wrong.

The first hits rather close to home. It is a relationship between my brother and his girlfriend. I wish I could say that my brother is not to blame but unfourtunately it is. He is downright mean to his girlfriend. I'm glad that she feels close enough to me to tell me her problems and I'm glad that I'm open minded enough to see that my brother is to blame but at the same time I'm appalled at what she tells me and I wonder why she stays. He is my brother and I love him but name calling and threats of physical violence are not acceptable no matter who is involved. I've talked to her on numerous occassions and I have come to the conclusion that she is an "enabler" She lets him get away with the crap that he pulls and I'm beginning to have no sympathy for her. She deserves better and I think she should go.

The next relationship is one between John's cousin Fallon and her long time boyfriend Rob. Fallon is 22 years old and has 2 children with him. He's a jerk-off and can't keep a job. They are on welfare because of him and it's sickening. She called me a few hours ago to tell me that she caught Rob kissing another woman last night. She says that he's screwing around with the neighbor girl. I told her that she is naieve if she thinks things will get better and that I think she should throw in the towel. This seems drastic but this isn't the first time she's caught him. A few months ago she invited some friends over to watch a movie. She wound up getting a migraine and went to bed. When she woke up a few hours later she still had a headache and got up to go get some asprin. On her way to the bathroom she caught Rob on top of one of the friends she had invited over. His face was 2 inches away from this girls and her hands were around his neck. Hmmm.....what does she think was going on? She says she put it out of her mind because they weren't actually doing anything when she walked in....hmm...ok? I wouldn't see it that way but hey...whatever. But, the thing is: She refuses to leave. I told her today that I would go. Move back home to be with her family but she says "We need to work on this" I offered to come and pick her up so she could stay with me for a week to get away and she says "Why so he can cheat the whole week while I'm gone?" My response to her was "what difference does it make? He's cheating when you're home so why not just get away for a week so at least you don't have to witness it for a week?" I just don't get it. She's so cute and so nice and she's being cheated on and TOLERATING it??? Oh goodness....... I would be gone. Kids or not. Nobody deserves to be treated that way. To make it even more absurd when she caught her hubby kissing that girl last night....she say " i just walked over to him, tapped him on the shoulder and told him it was time to come home" OMG........if that were me...I'd be in jail for assult and battery. In my eyes if she's not doing anything about it...she deserves it.

Would you stay?

2 Comments:

  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Good lord, Kat. Finds him kissing another girl and simply tells him it's just time to go home?? I would have pulled out knives and daggers and you're right - I would have been in jail. And to walk in on him on top of another friend IN THEIR HOUSE WHILE SHE WAS IN THE OTHER ROOM WITH A HEADACHE??? OMG ...... If these things are repeatedly happening, and repeatedly they are doing NOTHING about it, then I'd be having a hard time giving them any sympathy, too.

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger Dana, proud mommy of 3 said…

    I wouldn't put up with it. I'm right there with you! I would have done SOMETHING...that's crazy!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home