Mom's spot......

This is the diary of a 20-something mommy from Chicago. Sometimes this will be funny, sometimes sad, but it will always be real........feel free to post comments. Katrina

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Uncertainty

Nothing in life comes with guarantees. There is no promise that you will even wake up to see tomorrow. There is a slight chance you won't even make it through the day should you be so lucky as to wake up in the morning. There is no guaranrtee for anything in day to day life. I accept this....most of the time.

My husband has been blessed with an amazing opportunity to work for Aflac selling their products. In order to do this he will need to complete his licensing exam and attend training seminars. He will also need to quit his current ( crappy) job. This means he will be leaving the safety and security of a weekly( most of the time) paycheck. Aflac is commission only. While commission only jobs can lead to prosperous income there is no guarantee he will make anything. My husband can potentially work 50 hours in a week and still come home with nothing. It's frightening.

Currently hubby is working as a carpenter. His ability to work depends upon what the current weather guys are saying. If it's too cold-no work. To icy-no work. To windy-no work. To hot-no work. So far during this "slow season" he's been off a combined total of about a month and a half. Needless to say, it's been a little "tight" and "stressful" around here. Added to this stress is knowing that if he doesn't "jump" at this chance there is no guarantee he will get another one like it anytime soon.

My husband is a smart and intelligent man. He came close to getting a perfect score on his A.C.T. He graduated from highschool with honors even though he rarely attended. He can sit and spew random historical, political and scientific facts to you without so much as blinking an eye. He is also quite keen at giving you stats on major league sports teams. He is a hard working dedicated man who any company would be lucky to have. He has never in his life been fired from a job for being a "slacker" That said, I know that even though this job will be a huge lifestyle change for hubby and is something he's never done...he has the ability to succeed. He isn't one to take a job lightly. He's not one to sit around and watch the hands of the clock go round to pass the time. He works, constantly. Almost to the point of being a "workaholic" He does this because he knows that he has 2 people at home who count on him. He would never let us go hungry or unclothed. He is truly an amazingly great catch.

I have said many prayers over the last few weeks. I prayed that we would be o.k. while John was out of work. It was answered. I prayed that John would get sidework. He had 2 prospective leads that had still not signed a contract. It was answered when 3 people signed up for John's services. I prayed that we would find someway to make more money so that we can get out of debt and stop living paycheck to paycheck. It was answered when John was presented with this opportunity to work for Aflac. At least that's how I look at it. You see, I am big into "signs" I prayed as hard as I could for a way out of this lifestyle we're living and not more than 2 days after I said this prayer the opportunity was presented to us. I hope that I am reading this correctly. I hope that it is a sign. I'll just keep praying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home