Mom's spot......

This is the diary of a 20-something mommy from Chicago. Sometimes this will be funny, sometimes sad, but it will always be real........feel free to post comments. Katrina

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

'Tis the Seaon To Be......SICK????

I'm beginning to feel like a hypochondriac. It seems that every week, something else ails me. I'm really starting to get irritated. Last week it was the ever-so-painful bladder/kidney infection and this week it is some sort of combination stomach/flu garbage. I spent a good amount of my day with my head hung in the crapper. YUK. To make it worse...Chey has a touch of whatever the hell this is.

Thursday is the little boogers Christmas Program. I'm so very excited about it. I even bought her a special outfit to wear for the big day. I'll get some use out of it as she'll be wearing it on Christmas Eve as well.

Since I'm feeling like crotch today I wasn't able to go and pick up Chey's portraits. Which means, Christmas Cards will be late this year. We're getting another 3-6 inches of the fluffy white stuff and I'm not driving in that garbage. No thanks, I'd like to keep my tires this year. I'll just wait 'til Thursday to get them , when, they'll hopefully have all the roads cleared.

Tonight, Hubby and I are wrapping "Santa" gifts. I'll put on some Holiday Tunes and get into the spirit and get it all done. I love Christmas time.

I'll close with my memoirs of Christmas' Past:

I was 13 before I realized that my parent's were the force behind Santa. Yes, you read that right: 13!!!!! Here's how it happened and WHY I never figured it out.

My parents were methodical. I know now all of their tricks. I'm just hoping Cheyenne will spare herself the teasing and taunting I went through by not beleiving til' she's a teenager.

My parents would have us write letters to Santa. We'd go and "drop them at the post office" Little did I know; she hung onto them. She was slick. The wrapping paper was stuff that wasn't used on the other gifts in the house. It was different; unique even. Even the bows and the nametags were "special" ones that she put aside. The writing was even different. Found out later that she had a lady that worked with my dad handwrite out sheets of nametags so we "know" by the writing. Slick I tell ya. Now, here is why it was so hard to figure out.

When I was in the 6th grade I got into an arguement with a girl in school who insisted Santa was a "fake" a "hoax" I fought tooth and nail that indeed he was the real thing. She said to me "Santa, is your Mom and Dad" Impossible I thought....and I remembered Christmas' Past. We would leave around 6pm. We'd gather in the car singing Carols the whole ride to Aunt Gloria's house. I always looked forward to gatherings at her house because it was the only time of year I got to see my cousins. We'd all have a blast, eating goodies and exchanging gifts. We'd leave about 11:30 and we'd have butterflies for the entire car ride home. We knew that when we'd walk through that front door we'd be greeted by LOADS AND LOADS of the goodstuff. This is where I'd had a problem believing the girl in 6th grade. We ALL were in the car to go to Big G's.....nobody ever left...not even for a minute. If it WERE my mom and dad how in the hell did the gifts get there???? I pondered all the way through 7th grade...then came christmas of 8th grade. The defining moment in my teenage years. It was Xmas eve and I came down with a horrible case of the flu. So horrible that I was told I wasn't going to Aunt G's house this year. I needed to rest. Get better. I put up a fight, and lost. I stayed home.

We lived in a 3 flat in the city. My "aunt" lived upstairs from us. She was my aunt through marriage and when she and my uncle divorced, we continued to call her Aunt. That Christmas I was forced to stay at home. I'd be fine because "Aunt Terri" lived upstairs. All would be fine. It wasn't fine. She came though the back door and started loading pressies around the tree. THIS is Santa??? What the ......I was crushed. I'd looked like an idiot in school for still believing, I was almost beat up for it. How in the world did I not ever stop to think that "Aunt Terri" was Santa??? Maybe I knew deep down, and just wanted to continue to believe. Believing in Santa is pure Magic. Something to look forward to and something that keeps us innocent. I'm so glad that I have a child which in turn keeps the magic alive. I'm just glad that I had 2 excellent teachers; I'm sneaky I tell ya. Thanks Mom and Dad!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home