Mom's spot......

This is the diary of a 20-something mommy from Chicago. Sometimes this will be funny, sometimes sad, but it will always be real........feel free to post comments. Katrina

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Who Am I?

I was watching some program yesterday and a girl on the show had a breakdown of sorts. This particular girl has an eating disorder and she was judged by her peers because of this. All of her peers rallied around her, trying to "save" her. But, on another episode she explained that she had her B.A. in marketing with a minor in communications. She was explaining to the rest of her co-workers that she'd be good at doing "this" or "that" and it got me thinking a bit. What am I good at? In high-school I tried to be good at running track and field and Cross-Country. I was mediocre at best. Sure, I trained hard and tried my best but there were no medals or trophies for me; I was average. School was the same thing; no matter how hard I tried I was average. No graduating with honors or awards....just a "plain jane". College was a repeat of high-school ( only worse) I never went to class, never got "a's"....C's were as good as it got and in my mind " C's got degrees" Not so much, I do not posess a degree. I didn't do sports in college ( I wasn't going to kill myself running 12 miles a day for nothing) and really, I didn't do much of anything in college. Partied. That's about it. And, I wasn't even good at that! I never knew where the hot spots were or where you could find "THE" party, I was a follower. If somebody said "Hey, there's a party on such-and-such street" chances are, I'd be there. So, even with something as meaningless as partying I was again....mediocre. Later in life I became a mother and wife. I wouldn't say I'm terrible at these "jobs" but I'm not anything spectacular. I'm just your average "housewife" and Mom. Nothing to call the presses about. So, where does this leave me? What defines me? Who am I? I don't really know. I don't want to be "just a mom" I know that this is an important job and by no means am I a terrible mother but isn't there more? I don't have anything that stands out....like "Oh, her? That's Katrina. She's a mom and _______" I don't have some spectacular house or car, I'm not artsy-craftsy, I'm not a stellar athelete,I don't have some amazing career, I"m just me. And, maybe that isn't so bad afterall.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger Dana, proud mommy of 3 said…

    I completely agree!!! Being you is the best you can be! I wasn't GREAT at anything either...but I don't think you should beat yourself up...I think you're a great mom! Every time I hear about Chey doing this or that I think dang Kat is so awesome! She is that way BECAUSE OF YOU!!! So I say add, "a GREAT mom" to your resume!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home